Friday, March 1, 2019

Scratch Brush

The scratch brush is a tool  I have had in the tool drawer for many years.  I purchased my first scratch brush from a local tool shop present at a local train show.  The scratch brush I like best is the Eurotool  brush made in Germany.  The scratch brush has a plastic handle shaped like a pencil with a knob on the end to  control movement of bristles inside.  A scratch brush is available with fiberglass, brass or stainless steel bristles.  The scratch brush bristles feed out and retract from inside the brush handle when turning the end knob, similar to that of controlling the lead in a mechanical pencil.  And, like a mechanical pencil, refills can be purchased for the scratch brush.  The scratch brush with fiberglass bristles comes in the regular size and is also available in a ultra micro size.  Each type is useful to to a model railroader.



Scratch brush from front to back: fiberglass, brass, and stainless steel bristles.
(click or tap on photos to enlarge)


All scratch brush bristle types are useful for removing dirt and rust from parts.  The scratch brushes with brass and stainless steel bristles are useful for removing oxidation, paint or gunk from the side of a rail for soldering track feeders as well as other track work.  I have used the scratch brush with brass bristles for removing gunk on freight car and locomotive wheel sets. The scratch brush with fiberglass bristles is especially useful for removing the lettering from freight cars.

I had used the regular scratch brush with fiberglass bristles for many freight car projects to remove lettering such as changing a car number without harming the paint.  And, I used it to remove all or most of the lettering to later apply lettering of my choosing.  The removal requires a light touch and patience.  It may take many strokes across the lettering in all directions to get it removed.  And, even with a light touch there may be paint touch up.

As you remove the lettering a dust containing microscopic fiberglass particles will form.  I remove the dust with a cotton swab dampened with Walthers Solvaset .  A wet piece of paper towel could also be used to remove the dust.  To contain the dust that is formed, I lay the car from which the lettering is being removed on a paper towel.  When I have lettering removal finished,  I throw the paper towel which will have caught any fiberglass particles that did not get removed with the wet cotton swab in the trash.

Regular size scratch brush with fiberglass bristles.

Majority of original lettering removed
with scratch brush with fiberglass bristles.

When discussing the removal of lettering from freight cars with George Toman, he asked if I had ever used the ultra micro fiberglass scratch brush.  He thought it would be easier to use to remove the lettering.  I said I had not; however, I would obtain one to give it a try.  I am always open to trying new tools that may make my build or upgrade of freight cars easier. After I purchased and used the ultra micro fiberglass scratch brush I find I it is easier to remove freight car lettering as it is easier to control removal, especially when I am removing small lettering.  Again,  a light touch is required when moving the brush fiberglass bristles across the lettering to be removed.


Soo Line lettering to be removed with fiberglass scratch brush.



Lettering removed with  ultra micro scratch brush with fiberglass bristles.


I purchased my ultra micro fiberglass scratch brush from Micro-Mark.  If you have not used a scratch brush and would like to give one a try, the various types are available from Micro-Mark.



Thank You for taking time to read my blog.  You can share a comment in the section below if you choose to do so.  Please share the blog link with other model railroaders.
Lester Breuer




4 comments:

  1. Interesting post, I've wondered about these for modeling uses, I've used metal ones for other applications, now I'll try one for our hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these tool posts. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these tool posts. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these tool posts. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete